Our market leading energy client has an immediate need for a Senior Geophysicist as part of the Grande Prairie G&G team for their growing Western Canadian Production (WCP) department. This is a highly active and fast paced area, that has potential opportunities for future growth. This is a 12 month contract position located out of the Calgary office with an on-call requirement.
How will you bring value in this role?
You will primarily be responsible for supporting the execution of the Grande Prairie drilling program, manage and interpret the Kakwa re-processing and inversion projects, and evaluate the potential seismic requirement in Wembley. Additional responsibilities will include support in assessing land sales, evaluating acquisition and divestment candidates and supporting day to day management of various development properties. You will need strong communication and collaboration skills.
This is a great opportunity if you are interested in learning new skill sets that will facilitate their career development goals, in a positive and dynamic environment.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- As part of the operations team, provide geophysical support from the planning to the successful execution of multi-pad drill programs for unconventional resource plays (include on call and geosteering responsibilities).
- Apply both standard and advanced geophysical techniques suitable for unconventional tight sand plays to perform complex reservoir characterization, identify sweet spots, select well locations, maximize well productivity and monitor completions.
- Create and interpret multiple attributes from 2D & 3D seismic and inversion products to predict stratigraphic and structural variations (integration with geological maps) along with rock properties, geo-mechanical properties and other relevant subsurface variations.
- Evaluate land sales, acquisitions & divestment candidates.
- Provide geophysical support to engineering and production operation initiatives.
- Mentor junior professionals.
Skills & Qualifications
- B.Sc. or higher in Geophysics.
- Be registered, or a willingness to register, with APEGA is required.
- Minimum 12 years of upstream oil and gas experience.
- Knowledge of petroleum geology and exploration principles from basin analysis to prospect definition.
- Knowledge of Rock Mechanics.
- Knowledge with Structural Interpretation.
- Understanding of project risk and decision analysis.
- Understanding of geologic mapping integration to develop comprehensive structure maps.
- Working knowledge of Petrel.
- Proficient in Seisware, Geosyn, Microsoft Office, Accumap, Wellview, and the ability to work with and learn to use a variety of geological software.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work, as a professional, in a well-established multi-disciplinary team environment. Good teamwork skills are essential.
- Excellent organizational skills to handle a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- A willingness and commitment to maintain documentation of interpretive and operational results.
Nice to Have
- Minimum 2 years of experience supporting horizontal drilling operations and knowledge of geosteering techniques.
- Working knowledge of structural regimes in basins with unconventional plays required, with experience in WCSB preferred.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.