Our Calgary based energy client has an immediate need for a Senior Safety Advisor. This is a contract position for twelve (12) months
This senior level position is part of the Occupational Safety Team and works collaboratively with representatives from the Business Units (BUs) to ensure that common standards, tools, systems, and processes developed by Process and Occupational Safety (P&OS) meet the needs of the BUs and are fit for purpose.
CANDIDATE VALUE PROPOSITION:
This position supports the BUs in implementing corporate requirements and is an overall champion for compliance to HOIMS and OHS legislation. The Safety Advisor serves as an expert safety resource to the BUs and other functional groups. The individual in this position will be most effective by earning credibility with the BUs and partnering with them to create and foster a continuous improvement culture focused on occupational safety and operational integrity.
This senior level position is responsible for providing technical occupational safety leadership as a member of the Occupational Safety team within the larger Process and Occupational (P&OS) department. The P&OS department supports operational Business Units (BUs) by developing companywide standards that form part of the Operational Integrity Management System, more commonly referred to as HOIMS. P&OS is also the developer and owner of common tools, systems, DriveSafe, WorkSafe, and the company's aviation audit program and accompanying aviation safety standards. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Lead the HOIMS Safe Operations (Element 2) network and be the owner of selected Element 2 procedures and standards. Work collaboratively with other members of the P&OS team and BU personnel to support HOIMS implementation and continuous improvement in Safe Operations
- Lead the development and adoption of Human Factors aspects into the day to day operations
- Support the development and implementation of a strategy that positions our client to meet the evolving regulatory push to more formally legislate safety culture
- Provide coaching, mentoring and technical support to BU representatives in Occupational Safety, including interpretation of regulatory requirements, and development and application of corporate standards and requirements
- Generate safety alerts/communiques
- Develop a companywide Behavioral Based Safety program
- Develop a companywide safe work permit system standard
- Preparing safety performance benchmarking reports
- Complete other work as assigned by the Occupational Safety Manager
MUST HAVE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Occupational Safety Certificate/Diploma or Degree from a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- 10 years of industry experience in a safety related role
- 10 to 15 years of oil and gas industry experience supporting field or plant operations
- Working knowledge of corporate standards, Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations, CSA Standards, other legislative requirements, industry standards and best practices
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio and Power Point
- Previous experience supervising / mentoring individuals
NICE TO HAVE QUALIFICATIONS:
- First Aid including CPR and AED certification
- Strong report writing skills and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, able to set priorities
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion and sound judgement
If you bring the mentioned skills and experiences to the table, then we would love to chat you!
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.