Our large IT client, is recognized by customers as Canada’s leading Aerospace company.
We are looking for a Senior Safety Specialist to support the team.
Duration: 6 months
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Participates in System Design to develop requirements that can be practically validated and defines the methods of validation. Prepares test plans, procedures and reports to validate specified requirements. Performs tests in-plant and at project sites in accordance with these test plans and procedures. Plans and estimates Project V&V work. Prepares test automation scripts.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- + 5 years’ experience in real-time safety critical systems, train control systems or equivalent in other industry, such as aircraft, medical, nuclear.
- A detailed knowledge of system requirements definition/design, safety and risk analysis. .
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral. .
- Computer skills, MS Office; DOORS, FTA tools. . .
- Knowledge of railway systems is an asset.
- Extensive experience with safety analysis and reliability techniques. .
- Familiar with safety standards (military and/or international safety standards).
- Experience with or exposure to safety/mission-critical systems design, and exposure to hazard, fault-tree and failure modes and effects analysis, statistical modeling and analysis of complex software/hardware/human interface systems are assets (For technical roles list specific technical skills required, e.g. system engineering; safety software design etc.)
- Plan and coordinate project safety related activities throughout the system lifecycle, according to company process, applicable standards (EN 50126, MIL-STD-882) and best practices.
- Evaluate the compliance of systems and subsystems with safety requirements by reviewing technical specifications, design changes (system, hardware and software), and recommend design alternatives, where appropriate, to ensure safety.
- Define safety requirements by evaluating railway operational hazards that could be caused by the train control system.
- Provide technical evaluations and recommendations with respect to safety in formal design reviews.
- Perform peer review of key safety deliverables and artifacts
- Prepare and maintain the Hazard Log and associated hazard analyses – PHA, SHA, IHA, OSHA.
- Train and mentor junior members of the Safety team.
- Supervise other Safety Specialists and consultants by defining their work, methodology and approach, monitoring their progress, and directing them on priorities
- Fulfil the role of Work Package Manager (WPM) to define the scope of work and estimates based on project specific requirements and internal process, and manage RAMS schedule and budget.
- Verify the safety of the system by performing:
- Failure Modes Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA);
- Functional Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FFMEA);
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA);
- Functional Hazard Analysis (FnHA);
- Functional Safety Analysis (FnSA); and
- Hazard Identification (HAZID) and Hazard Operability (HAZOP) studies.
- Ensure that safety requirements are fulfilled by participating in system, hardware and software design reviews.
- Review the CRs related to product and/or projects and perform initial risk assessment to ensure proper categorization – Safety Review, Safety Risk; Safety Hazard; Pending Hazard, and carry out the safety review and analysis of recommended solution.
- Ensure that safety can be verified by testing and that test procedures provide sufficient coverage of safety requirements, including failure and operational scenarios.
- Review Safety Case inputs and dependencies to ensure adequacy and completeness, and is responsible for the technical safety of the train control system.
- Prepare Safety Cases (GPSC, GASC, SASC) or Technical Safety Reports to demonstrate functional and technical safety of the system.
- Provide support to resolve safety related issues by participating in the Safety Committee, as required.
- Accountable for performing the work correctly within cost and schedule limits as defined in approved Work Package.
- Report directly to the Manager RAMS Engineering, take direction from the Project Safety Lead, Group Lead, Technical Safety Specialist and Chief Safety Architect, and work closely with other team members, both in Safety team and from other functional teams, to meet project objectives.
LOOKING FOR MEANINGFUL WORK? WE CAN HELP
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.