Our client, a market leading integrated oil company is looking for a Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer for a 12 month contract located at their Calgary office.
How You Will Bring Value
As part of the Safety, Engineering and Procurement Department, the Technical Services group provides technical leadership, discipline engineering and asset integrity support to our client’s project groups and Business Unit operations.
You will be responsible for providing mechanical engineering expertise and guidance to support our client’s upstream and downstream activities, with primary focus on supporting capital and sustainment projects. You will be a technical representative, working closely with our client’s business units, project staff and engineering service providers in the conceptual, front end engineering design, and detailed engineering phases of oil and gas projects. You will provide design input with a focus on technical integrity, minimizing full life cycle (capital and operating) costs, and operability and maintainability of the facilities. You will provide mechanical engineering guidance to project teams and EPC's, review mechanical-related project deliverables, participate in design reviews, hazard reviews, and gate reviews.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide mechanical discipline engineering expertise to our business units, project staff, and engineering service providers across our client’s portfolio of projects. Participate as an active, value-added, collaborative member of various project teams.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering contractors regarding Owner requirements.
- Review and/or approval of all technical documentation produced by engineering service providers, and vendors. Participate in development and/or review of design basis document, FEED and detailed engineering deliverables, and providing technical support during construction and commissioning activities.
- Participate as an active and value-added contributor during design reviews, hazard reviews, model reviews, gate reviews and project audits.
- Ensure appropriate mechanical engineering specifications are used for projects. Contribute to the development and maintenance of mechanical engineering specifications and standards.
Must Have Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Professional Engineer, registered or eligible for registration with APEGA.
- Eligible to travel and work in the USA (passport, and eligible for working visa).
- Minimum 10 years of relevant oil and gas industry mechanical engineering experience. Owner / operator experience is a definite asset.
- 10 years of demonstrated experience in greenfield and brownfield major project environments, from concept through to execution and start-up phase, in a gated project development environment.
- 5 years experience in defining mechanical technical deliverables for capital projects.
- 5 years experience in executing small to medium-size multi-disciplinary capital projects.
- Minimum 10 years of project experience in oil and gas industry.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate EPC project deliverables.
- Prior experience as Mechanical Engineer/Lead in an operating facility or large project environment (on Owner team or EPC team environment).
- Extensive experience with mechanical-related project deliverables.
- Familiarity with mechanical standards relevant to the oil and gas industry, including ASME, API, CSA, TEMA, etc.
- Experience in application of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes.
- Ability to organize and develop written specifications, standards and guidance documents.
- Demonstrated abilities to develop effective working relationships, work in collaborative team environments, communicate effectively (written and verbal), and manage multiple competing priorities.
- Valid Driver's License is required for business travel.
- Strong computer skills.
Nice to Have Skills
- Advanced Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- 5 years of experience in design, specifying, and selection of pressure vessels, heat exchangers, tanks, pumps, compressors, piping, pipelines, and related mechanical equipment.
- 5 years of experience in developing mechanical equipment and piping specifications, standards and best practices.
- Knowledge of fabrication techniques used to manufacture oilfield equipment.
- Knowledge of construction methods utilized in greenfield and brownfield oil and gas facility projects.
- Prior experience on development of upstream projects such as single well batteries, multi-well batteries, gas plants, SAGD and other enhanced oil recovery projects.
- Prior experience in development of midstream projects such as pipelines, booster stations, LACT units.
- Prior experience in development of downstream projects such as heavy oil upgrading and refining.
- Experience in application of ASME B31.3 and B31.1 Piping Codes.
- Experience in application of CSA Z662 Pipeline code.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.