SERVICE DESK TECHNICIAN
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Supervisor, Service Desk, the Service Desk Technician brings a strong client focused and positive attitude to all dealings with clients as the first point of contact for the business when they call or email the Service Desk. Through the utilization of documented procedures and checklists, the Service Desk Technician records the caller details, evaluates the situation/issue, determines appropriate response and refers or escalates to designated specialist/resource for resolution of client’s problem or complaint. This can include remotely accessing user’s systems to diagnose and resolve problems through application of patches and updates.
· End to end responsibility for client calls providing timely, reliable and courteous service from initial receipt of call through to resolution of issue.
· Provides client service and first level technical resolution for operational, network, mainframe, PC, or service-related incidents or problems.
· Reviews and provides initial assessment of the severity and priority of requests (client specific, environmental, business needs).
· Provides client service and first level support for business efficiency/office productivity software such as Microsoft Office.
· Captures/records all relevant information from client call using the service desk software.
· Tracks escalated issues/problems and notifies supervisor if resolution is not provided to client within the service desk delivery standards.
· Maintains ongoing communications and provides updates to clients concerning status of their service desk tickets.
· Maintains extensive knowledge of the problem/support management database and Help Desk system and process and may make suggestions based on analysis and identification of trends or symptoms of larger issues.
· Reviews outstanding support tickets to identify trends or symptoms of larger issues.
· Reviews and maintains call handling procedures, checklists and other documentation used when receiving and responding to client contacts in collaboration with the Service Desk Analysts
· May be assigned to an initiative or project requiring the individual to take direction from other IS Unit Manager and/or Project Manager.
· May be required to assist other IS resources with desk side support, software installations, hardware and other peripheral products on site support.
· May be required to provide on call support to users.
· Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation
· Performs other duties as assigned, which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
· College Diploma in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Technology or related discipline.
· One (1) to two (2) years of IT work experience in computer systems or support.
· Working knowledge of basic client hardware and software products including Windows 7, and Microsoft Office suite.
· Ability to extract information, identify and troubleshoot problems over the phone.
· Working knowledge of networking systems (DNS, WINS, Active Directory).
· Working knowledge of email technologies such as Microsoft Outlook.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to make sound and logical judgments.
· Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
· Strong customer service orientation.