Superintendent – Electrical Technical & Design
The successful candidate will be a senior member of the Engineering Department in Sudbury, Ontario. The candidate will be responsible to provide electrical engineering services to various plants and mines.
The position requires the person to be capable of producing innovative engineering solutions to operating and maintenance problems. In addition the person must have the capability of preparing project scopes of work and associated work packages for construction.
The position involves regular trips to underground mines and to the various surface plants. The candidate must possess a valid driver license.
- Leads a team of design personnel to complete engineering designs and studies.
- Models all power distribution networks into power systems studies.
- Leads electrical representatives from plants to work towards standardization and to lessen future maintenance requirements.
- Maintains the divisional electrical drawing update program.
- Provides leadership to all plants in regards to electrical safety and maintenance requirements.
- Responsible for integrity of designs produced under his/her technical direction and legally approves drawings as per the Professional Engineers Act.
- Provides technical direction and troubleshooting to plants.
- Highlights electrical maintenance shortcomings and makes recommendations based on field inspections & audits and prepares the relevant reports.
- Participates in the review of construction, commissioning and start-up functions.
- Applies sound engineering knowledge and exercises leadership, mentoring and training to other design and engineering personnel.
- Conducts reviews of engineering consultant's engineering designs, drawings and specifications on assigned projects.
- Approves or reviews engineering estimates, drawings, calculations, functional specifications, data sheets, equipment specifications, scopes of work, fulfilment of PHR action items, FEL estimate packages and final design packages.
- Responsible for the development and updating of Standards.
- Acts as a mentor and subject matter expert by providing engineering technical guidance to direct reports and between Central Engineering and the Plants.
- Share plant specific knowledge within the team by closely interacting with the plants and mines by being an active member of the Mine Electrical Safety Forum and Divisional Electrical Committee.
Education and Professional Qualifications:
The ideal candidate possesses:
- A bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and a Professional Engineering Designation in the Province of Ontario.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in electrical design for multi-disciplined projects
- Experience in electrical systems for both underground and surface mining, smelting and refining installations.
- Knowledge of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, CSA M421, OSHA Regulation 854 and the Building Code requirements as they pertain to a mining environment
- Experience in planning and estimating engineering hours for design projects
- Experience writing equipment specifications and construction scopes of work
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and Easypower software
- Understands and can apply risk assessment and PHR processes
- Ability to work independently to achieve outcomes with minimum supervision
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Is familiar with latest codes, acts and regulations and keeps abreast of technology and latest developments in his/her design field.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 15 years of experience of related and progressive experience.