Our Utility Client in North York, ON is looking to hire a Supervisor, Power Accounting for a 12 months of contract role with high possibility of extension.
As a Supervisor, Power Accounting, the candidate is responsible to oversee the Operational Accounting function for the Green Power and Transmission (GPT) segment, including the general ledger close process and reporting for all operational assets and investments, and will supervise a team of 5 professional accountants (indirect reports).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead a department of accounting professionals responsible for the accounting of Clients Inc.’s Green Power and Transmission business unit, which is currently comprised of 20 operational assets.
- Provide complete, accurate, and timely accounting services related to: general ledger, cash management, internal reporting and accounting research, ensuring compliance with US GAAP
- Synthesize accounting issues and be able to explain their impacts to management and auditors
- Review and approve journal entries, reconciliations, analyses and trial balances on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy and completeness of transactions recorded
- Oversee quarterly and annual operating accruals for GPT
- Responsible for the accounting research analysis as required based on local materiality for GPT entities and the impact of changes in accounting guidance
- Ensure departmental SOx compliance and effective management of SOx documents and evidence
- Lead team in organizing hand off of GPT assets from Corporate Accounting once assets become operational
- Oversee quarterly assessment of impairment analysis and related checklist
- Identify and lead implementation for process improvements through a review of accounts and associated processes
- Provide support to the business for any new or unusual transactions to ensure the processes and accounting are accurate and complete
- Responsible for identifying, resolving and escalating (as needed) any potential accounting issues to ensure timely resolution and accurate financial information
- Provide operational accounting support to the Green Power and Transmission Operations
- Team that are located throughout US, Canada and International
- Pressure to deliver timely and accurate financial information and meet tight financial close and reporting deadlines
- Continuous increase in size, diversity and complexity of operations and regulations
- Close attention to working relationships with other departments and other BUs that legally own certain Green Energy assets
- Must work to strict deadlines for key financial period end closings (monthly, quarterly, annually)
- CPA, or other accounting designation (CPA, CA preferred)
- Experience managing/leading a team
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or other business-related field
- 7-10 years progressive accounting or finance experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in U.S. GAAP and local GAAP
- Previous experience in financial reporting, accounting research (nice to have)
- Familiar with Oracle, Hyperion Financial Management, Smartview (nice to have)
ABOUT IAN MARTIN:
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.”