Transportation Design – Work Technician
Under the direction of the Project Manager, duties include acting as group leader and providing project management by guiding, directing and coordinating road related projects and engineering submissions performed by staff and external consultants.
The incumbent will:
- Provide technical and procedural guidance on planning, designing and scheduling of road, bridge and storm drainage projects
- Conduct critical and constructive technical reviews of municipal road designs and engineering submissions
- Review and recommend potential rehabilitation and asset management strategies for the road, bridge and storm drainage systems
- Establish, co-ordinate and ensure compliant with projects schedules
- Review and submit applications and help secure approvals from Municipal, Provincial, Federal and other agencies- Participate in the preparation of budgets and tender document packages
- Evaluate and recommend modifications to Regional and Provincial standards and software for municipal road design- Attend and participate in meetings, information sessions and workshops with internal staff, external agencies, consultants and the public
- Respond to and coordinate comments with the public, internal staff, external agencies and consultants
The successful applicant will possess:
- A three-year post-secondary diploma in a Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent
- Registration with or be eligible for registration as an Engineering Technologist with O.A.C.E.T.T.
- Extensive experience related to the design of municipal roadworks
- Working knowledge of geo-technical practices, utility coordination, Class Environmental Assessments, construction tendering and traffic engineering
- Understanding of construction methods, OPS Standards, Regional standards and other policies, guidelines and legislation related to planning and design of municipal road projects
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications (Word, Excel, Access, Project, Outlook) and AutoCAD
- Excellent verbal and written communication, public relations, negotiation, project management and organizational skills
- The ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision
- A valid Ontario Class 'G' Driver's Licence with access to a reliable vehicle
Experience with roundabout design, Civil 3D, and the coordination of multi-discipline municipal road projects including sanitary sewer, watermain, traffic signals and illumination design would be considered an asset.