A Contact Tracer provides public health support in the fight against COVID-19. The contact tracer is responsible for reaching out to people (contacts) who have been exposed to a COVID-19 positive person and provides guidance and support on self-isolation. Dialogue with contacts will be guided by standard protocols. This position will require prioritization, prompt action, and attention to detail in documentation. Contract tracers are required to follow all designated scripts and comply with policies and procedures regarding confidentiality and data security for the handling of sensitive client information and health information.
- Initiate prompt communication by phone with people exposed to a COVID-19 positive person (contacts).
- Employ dynamic communication and interpersonal skills, cultural competency/sensitivity, tactful language, and empathetic interviewing skills to build rapport with contacts of varied backgrounds.
- Verify the contact’s identity during initial communications and prior to disclosing confidential information. Assure confidentiality and carry out efforts to locate and communicate with clients in a manner that preserves the confidentiality and privacy of all involved.
- Notify the contact of their exposure to COVID-19, following a script or guidance to provide COVID-19 health education.
- Provide approved information and guidance on self-isolation procedures and what to do if symptoms develop. Provide information for testing, healthcare, and other supportive services, as needed, per local protocols.
- Conduct daily check-ins to assess signs/symptoms via locally designated method.
- Record data in provincial case and contact management IT system.
- Inform the team and supervisor when attempts to communicate with a contact are unsuccessful.
- Elevate complex situations to supervisor for further guidance.